I had never heard the story behind the lyrics, but I became curious when I heard the last verse of this version of the song.
I looked it up and found out that Stephen, who it mentions in the verse, was John Mark's best friend. One night, as they were praying, he told God that he would willingly give his life if it would draw more youth to Christ. That night, he was killed in a car accident. Soon after, John Mark wrote the song, "How He Loves."
I have seen this song break so many people, washing them with the reality of the passionate love of Jesus. I have heard stories of the lyrics just wrecking young people, letting them realize how great the love of God is for us. It draws us in.
I don't even know what to say, but I am shaken by this. Stephen said, "God if you want my life, I'll give it up for the furthering of your love." And God said, "I'll use it. And it will revolutionize the spreading of my message." God used the radical willingness of a simple man to bring a song into existence that purely talked about His ravishing love for us. That shows how desperately he wanted people to hear its message. It is only when we come face to face with the radical love that we fall down on our knees in surrender, worship, and longing for relationship.
Here is the full article that contains the story.
http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/music/features/22158-the-heart-of-john-mark-mcmillan
No comments:
Post a Comment