As a long-time follower of Jesus, I know his story, I know the basics, but as I seek Him more and ask Him to show me even more of His character, even deeper into His story, I learn more and more.
I had been to an event like this before. At Christ the King, my home church, we have had these in the past. So I assumed I would have a similar experience, but I longed to go into the night with a heart open to receive all the God would show me, going in with a heart of worship and thanksgiving, not trying to "have an experience" or "get something out of it". I just wanted to worship. And in the worship, God began to open my eyes to a new side of the pain and the love of Jesus.
One of the stations focused on the betrayal of Judas and Peter to Jesus. Judas gave Jesus up for money, Peter gave him up for self-preservation.
How must that have felt for Jesus? He was fully human. These were his followers. These were his friends. These were his guys, the ones who knew him the best and were closest to him. These were the ones who said they loved him. And He was also fully God. He was there when the first thoughts of these men were being created. He knew the desperate passion he had for them. He knew how he longed to be known for who he was by them, and for them to love him in return.
The emotions of a man and the emotions of God, Jesus had it all.
So what must the pain of that betrayal feel like? How deeply it must have tore into his heart. To see his friends, and his creation, the ones he came to rescue and love on, so blatantly deny him, so easily lead him to be murdered.
Put yourself in that position. The person you trust, the person you love the most, the person who has told you and shown you that they love you, sell you out and give you up to be tortured and killed. For what purpose? To get some money. And to make sure their reputation does not get tarnished by your name so that they won't be in danger. What would your reaction be? I know I would be in dismay. I would be unimaginably hurt, in shock and confusion. And soon, in the confusion, I would probably get crazy angry.
This is why it is so powerful to see the reactions of Jesus.
Matthew 26:49-50 shows his response to Judas' betrayal.
"So Judas came straight up to Jesus. 'Greetings, Rabbi!' he exclaimed, and gave him a kiss. Jesus said, 'Go ahead, my friend. Do what you have come for."
Luke 22:31-32 shows Jesus response to Peter.
"'Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers."
In both instances, Jesus knew what was going on, he was not surprised, but I don't think that would even slightly lessen the pain of the betrayal. With Judas though, even when he was betraying him, Jesus still called him friend. How incredible is that? Jesus loved Judas. Even in that incredibly painful moment of being sold out by one of his own, Jesus reminded Judas that he loved him.
In Peter's situation, Jesus knew that Peter would deny him. But he said that he pleaded for Peter. But even though he knew that Peter would betray him too, he knew that he would also turn back to him and repent. And that Jesus himself would gladly receive Peter back and never hold his sin against him or keep it hanging over his head, but instead entrust to him the task of encouraging his brothers.
Later, as Jesus was hanging on the cross, and people were mocking him, and he was in unbearable pain, he said, "Father forgive them. They don't know what the are doing."
In each of his moments of unspeakable pain, in his hour of desperation, Jesus showed his desperation for us. Instead of dwelling on his own pain, he cried out to God to have mercy upon us. Jesus, the Lord of all Creation, in his moment of excruciating pain, begged his Father for mercy on the ones who rejected and murdered him, on the ones who betrayed him.
What kind of man does that? Only the God-Man, only the one who loves his bride too much to ever leave her to her own devices, the one who loves her so much that even when she rejects him and hurts him, he pleads for her innocence. How amazing is our Jesus? How deep is his love for us? How vast must it be?
Oh let us never forget the passion for us that overwhelmed the heart of Jesus even up until the moment he gave up his spirit. Because it still overwhelms him now! Hosanna, Jesus. Thank you for saving us with your love.
No comments:
Post a Comment